Thursday, October 7, 2010

Quick Dinner Idea



I came home from work hungry and wanted to prepare dinner quickly, here is what we had:

Brown rice with Portabella mushrooms and green peas
Asian green beans
Tuna Steaks

Sounds impressive right? It was a breeze.

The rice dish was leftover brown rice and green peas from Monday night's dinner.
I cooked 2 cups of brown rice in 4 cups of chicken stock and and 2/3 cup of frozen peas on Monday to go with dinner. To "doctor" it up for tonight's dinner I sauteed a package of Portabello mushrooms in 2 TBSP of butter added it to the leftover rice and added a little chicken stock to moisten.

The Asian green beans were made by putting 1/2 cup of chicken stock into a pot and adding an entire bag of frozen green beans (I used the ones from Trader Joe's, they are really good, I think it's because they are so skinny). To that I added 1 TBSP of soy sauce (that's the Asian part).

The Tuna Steaks took exactly 4 minutes to make and I still over-cooked them, next time I will only grill them for 2 minutes. I drizzled olive oil on the steaks and sprinkle a little sea salt on them while waiting for the George Foreman Grill (my latest cooking gadget that I completely love, yes I know I am a little behind the times but I finally caught on) to get hot. Once the steaks were done (4 minutes) it was time for dinner. I added wedges of lime to squeeze on the tuna. Dinner was done in less than 1/2 hour. Time enough to eat and take my son to the library. I picked up Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-four. I haven't read it in over 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment