Thursday, May 30, 2013

Fermented Foods - sauerkraut and dill pickles

I started my sauerkraut and dill pickles two days ago. Pickles are simple: wash 4 pounds of pickling cucumber well and trim the blossom end 1/8 inch (I trim both ends, I didn't pick them and I wanted to be sure). Make sure you use pickling cucumbers, they are not waxed, are the right length (4-6 inches) and they are nice and bumpy. You will not have a problem with selection if you grow them yourself.

Use 5 heads of fresh dill, 2 tbsp of pickling spice (you can mix your own or use store bought), I added an extra tbsp of mixed peppercorns and an extra tbsp of ground ginger and an extra bay leaf (we like them spicy!). In addition, add garlic cloves, I used two elephant garlic cloves, you can use 4 regular. Mix 8 cups of water, 1/2 cup of canning salt (do not use table salt) and 1/4 cup vinegar. 

Using a pickling crock or a large glass jar layer spices,cucumbers and garlic. Fill the jar with the water, salt and vinegar solution. Weigh down the contents to make sure the cucumbers stay under the brining  solution, fermentation is an anaerobic activity, you don't want the cucumbers exposed to air. Check daily to see if you need to skim any scum off of the top, brining takes about 2-3 weeks and then I move them to the refrigerator.

Now for the sauerkraut.

You need 20 pounds of cabbage and approx 1/2 cup of salt and a large crock or jar.


Remove the outer leaves and rinse the cabbage well, quarter and core. Shred the cabbage into 1/8 strips.


That was a lot of cabbage to cut. I have used a meat slicer in the past, I didn't feel like pulling it out and the having to wash it. This is what happens with most gadgets, that's why it's important to have good, sharp knives round.


Mix 5 pounds of shredded cabbage with 3 tbsp of canning salt (don't use table salt and consider using natural sea salt). Let sit for a while until juices form.


Start packing in jar but tamping down with the back of a large spoon, it was easier to use the end of a French rolling pin. Continue until you fill the jar, I was able to get the entire 20 pounds ( more like a little over 15 once it was trimmed and cored) into 1 5 gallon jar.

I left it for two days hoping that enough brine would be formed from just the salt and the juice from the cabbage, but I wound up having to prepare a brining solution by boiling 4 cups of water and dissolving 3 tbsp of canning salt in it. I let the solution cool to room temperature and I poured it over the cabbage. I then put a piece of muslin that had been washed well (you can boil it in water, then carefully wring it out) on top and used a spoon to wedge it down the sides. You want to keep the cabbage under the brining solution so it will ferment properly.
I placed several saucers on top of the muslin and inverted the lid which has a knob on top, this keeps the cabbage from floating on top of the solution. Check daily to see if you need to skim the top. 

Fermentation will take approx 6 weeks, then you can divide into smaller jars and store in the fridge. You can also can in a hot water bath, but please know that you will lose all of your probiotics if you do.
I like sauerkraut's flavor, but the only reason I make it and teach others to do the same is for the probiotics. If you are only going for taste, it is easier to purchase it at the store. This tastes much better than your generic sauerkraut, but there are some pretty good tasting ones in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment