Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sardines


I went home for lunch today and intended on having a tuna steak but I had to cook it, so I decided to have some sardines instead. I really like sardines and I have just as hard a time figuring out why some people hate them as some people have trying to figure out why I like them.

Not only do sardines taste wonderful they are wonderful for you.
One serving of sardines (in olive oil, drained) has:
150 calories
11 grams of heart healthy fat
14 grams of protein
naturally occurring Omega-3's
vitamins - A, B2, B6, B12, D & E
minerals - calcium, iodine, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium

I drain the can and squeeze the juice of a lemon or lime over the sardines and let it sit for 1 minute before I use them.
I like sardines over a salad usually, but today I ate them on Triscuits along with a salad.
My favorite brand is King Oscar, they taste better than any other brand that I have tried.
(I have no idea who Michael Kraus is but he took the photo of the sardines)

1 comment:

  1. I remember eating these a lot as a kid and liking them... maybe I should give them a try again!! I bet my son would get a kick out of putting a little fish on a cracker.

    ReplyDelete